Haryana wrestlers carried their state to the top of the medals tally at the end of the fifth day’s competition in the first Khelo India School Games after impressive performance from wrestlers.In total Khelo India School Games – Haryana won 102 medals, with 26 silver and 38 bronze. Maharashtra (110) finished second overall while Delhi (94) came third.
Key Points: Khelo India School Games
- The first (inaugural) edition of Khelo India School Games (KISG) was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi which was held from from 31st January to 8th February, 2018 at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.
- In 2018 Khelo India School Games (KISG) was held across 16 disciplines in Under-17 age category. 5,000 school children from 29 states and seven union territories participated in mega sporting event. Total of 199 gold medals, 199 silver medals and 275 bronze medals were awarded at first KISG.
- Wrestling and swimming were the two majors competitions.Seven of their eight medals of the day came from wrestling as the northern state now have 52 medals with 20 gold, 16 silver and an equal number of bronze medals,Delhi with 16 gold, 18 silver and 24 bronze medal are in second position followed by Maharashtra with 47 medals which includes 16 yellow metals.Haryana had emerged as overall champions.
- Other than wrestling, Swimming sensation, Srihari Nataraj of Karnataka was once again among the top stars of the day with two gold and his tally swelled to six gold and one silver.
- Khelo India Programme (2018) aimed at providing an excellent launchpad to the country’s young and promising athletes to showcase their talent at the national level.