- The Floating Treatment Wetland (FTW) laid its foundation on The World Wetlands Day observed on February 2nd in Neknampur Lake situated in Hyderabad.
- Floating Treatment Wetland aims to clean and purify the polluted waterbody.
- The Plants planted on FTW – Floating Treatment Wetland can clean the lake by absorbing nitrates and other pollutants in the water.
Key Points – Floating Treatment Wetland
- Joint effort of NGO Dhruvansh, Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority (HMDA), district administration and other organisations has made Floating Treatment Wetland Possible.
- The “Floating Island” comprises four layers – floatable bamboo at base, styrofoam cubicles above it with the third layer consistingof gunny bags and gravels on final layer to support cleaning agents (plants).
- Cleaning agents are usually planted with vetivers, cattails, canna, bulrush, citronella, hibiscus, fountain grass, flowering herbs, tulsi and ashwagandha.
- Floating Treatment Wetland’s working is based on soil-less hydroponics technique. Since Hydroponics permits plants to grow only on sunlight and water hence there is no need of soil. There are small holes at bottom of base which facilitates flow of nutrients from water to plants through biological uptake process.