The Union Cabinet approved signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Secondment Programme between India and Australia.
Key Points: Secondment Programme
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of Memorandum of Understanding for Secondment Programme between the Department of Economic Affairs (Indian Economic Service Cadre) and The Treasury, Government of Australia, for a period of three months.
- The programme may be repeated in subsequent years with mutual consultation and after agreement on both sides.The validity of both MoUs will terminate at end of the three months’ period of assignment and will not be extendable.
- The decision was taken by the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Australia is one of the important bilateral partners of India.India is Australia’s seventh-largest trading partner and our fifth-largest export market.Australia has placed India at the forefront of its international partnerships. Both governments recognize there is significant potential for further cooperation across a broad range of areas.
- The proposed Secondment Programme will also help to explore further opportunities for future collaboration and engagement and will also helps to deepen understanding of current economic policy issues in both countries.